SECTION G - FLORAL
Contact: Dawn Osborne 250-757-2006 firstname.lastname@example.org
Judge – Barbara Samarin
The Standard of Perfection is used in judging.
However, this is not a Provincial Floriculture Show so emphasis is given to exhibition, friendly competition and community fun!
ENTRY FORM: See rule 2
ENTRY FEE: $1.00 per entry; $1.50 per entry after 5pm Monday before the Fair.
PRIZE MONEY: 1st - $5.00 2nd - $3.00 3rd - $2.00
Sponsored prizes & Rosettes for Best Bloom in Show
Ribbons and prizes for Best Feature Flower 2021 the Zinnias
Fair Theme composition Chicken and Duck.
Decorative class is “Garden Boots” which is using garden boots as the focal point in the floral arrangement or even as the container themselves.
All exhibits must have been grown by the exhibitor, except in classes 40,41 & 45.
Entry forms & fees must be received no later than 5pm Monday, before the Fair. (see rule 17.)
Exhibits must be on the grounds between 6-8pm on Thursday or between 7:30 and 9:30am on the Friday before the Fair. Judging begins at 10am on the Friday.
Exhibits must not be removed before 4:00 p.m. Sunday.
TIPS FOR EXHIBITORS:
A. Use only the BEST flowers for show.
B. Make sure all your exhibits have water.
C. “MEASURE UP” ... make sure to measure flower arrangements and flowers that have a size restriction.
D. Containers must be provided by the exhibitor and be an appropriate size for the flower(s) in them.
E. Stabilize your containers with rocks, sand, etc. in the bottom so that they will not tip over.
F. If possible, all varieties of flowers should be named – this informs the public and gives everyone more pleasure.
G. Flowers last longer if the stem is cut on the slant, and a bit of ginger-ale added to the water extends display time. To keep hollow stem flowers longer, fill with water and plug with a bit of cotton-ball.
H. Stems should include first pair of leaves at top of stem.
I. Any other, refers to flowers not found in any other listed class.
J. Dahlias should always have foliage attached.
Feature Flower for 2021 is the “Zinnias”
Fair Theme Composition, 2021 Chicken and Duck
Decorative Class arrangement for 2021 is “Garden Boots"
…with special prizes and ribbons for each.
1. Asters - any variety, 5 blooms of 1 variety
2. Asters - any variety, 5 blooms mixed
3. Begonia - single bloom, can be displayed on moss, flat dish
4. Begonia - single potted plant
5. Carnations - 4 stems, no buds, any colour
6. Calendula - 5 stems, any colour
7. Cosmos - 5 stems with bud
8. Dahlia - 2-4”, 3 blooms (all Dahlia entries see Tip J)
9. Dahlia - 4-6”, 3 blooms
10. Dahlia - 6-8”, 1 bloom, long stem
11. Dahlia - Cactus, under 8”, 1 bloom
12. Dahlia - Cactus, over 8”, 1 bloom
13. Dahlia - Non-Cactus, over 8”, 1 bloom
14. Dahlia - pompon, up to 2”, 3 blooms
15. Daisy - 1 stem, any colour
16. Daisy - 3 stems, any colour
17. Everlasting - 7 stems, fresh
18. Gladiolus - 1 spike
19. Gladiolus - 3 spikes
20. Lily - 1 bloom or stem, remove pollen
21. Marigolds - large, 3 stems with own foliage
22. Marigolds - small, 5 stems with own foliage
23. Nasturtiums - 5 blooms, long stems with own foliage
24. Pansy - 5 blooms
25. Petunia - double, 6 blooms
26. Petunia - single, 6 blooms
27. Phlox - 5 cuttings, any colour
28. Rose - Hybrid Tea, single bloom with own foliage
29. Rose - Floribunda, 3 stems with multiple blooms open in stages
30. Rose - Miniature, 3 stems with multiple blooms open in stages
31. Snaps - 3 stems in bloom, any colour
32. Sweet peas - 5 stems, one colour
33. Sweet peas – 5 stems, any colour mix
34. Zinnias - 3 blooms, one colour
35. Zinnias - 3 blooms, any colour mix
36. Annuals - 1 stem each of 4 different varieties, named
37. Perennials - 1 stem each of 4 different varieties, named
38. Any other cut flower - named, 1 bloom or stem (tip H)
39. Any other cut flower - named, 3 blooms or stems (tip H)
40. Floral Composition - Wild Flower
41. Fair Theme Composition, 2021 Chicken and Duck
42. Planter arrangement
43. Flowering Plant in pot – named
44. Foliage Plant in pot – named
45. Decorative class 2021 - “Garden Boots”
SEND ENTRY FORMS IN EARLY.
ENTRY FEE: 25¢ (50¢ late entry fee after 5pm on Monday before the Fair)
PRIZE MONEY: 1st - $3.00 2nd - $2.00 3rd - $1.00
Sponsored Prize & Rosette for Junior Best Bloom
Ribbons and prizes for best Feature Flower 2021 Zinnias and the Fair Theme Composition, 2021 Chicken and Duck and the Decorative Class 2021 “Garden Boots”
Additional Rules: See rules 1 thru 4 at start of section.
Exhibitors must be 16 years old or younger as of Jan. 1st.
Age must be on the entry form.
Exhibits must be grown by the exhibitor except for class 57, 58 & 59
46. Daisy - 3 stems, any colour
47. Dahlia - any variety, 3 blooms (see tip J)
48. Marigolds - 5 stems
49. Pansy - 5 blooms in small container
50. Sweet Peas - 5 stems with 4 or more blooms
51. Rose - Hybrid Tea, single bloom with own foliage
52. Rose - Floribunda, 3 stems with multiple blooms open in stages
53. Rose - Miniature, 3 stems with multiple blooms open in stages
54. Zinnias – 3 blooms, any colour mix, Feature Flower
55. Any other cut flower - 1 bloom, named if possible
56. Any other cut flower - 3 blooms, named if possible
57. Wildflower arrangement with foliage
58. Floral Arrangement – Fair Theme 2021 Chicken and Duck
59. Decorative class 2021 – “Garden Boots”
All OUR CHAMPIONS FOR 2020
A BIG THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
FOR THEIR GENEROSITY AND SUPPORT
Grand Champion Flower in Show sponsored by KenDor Garden Centre
A Garden Basket of Goodies, Won by Nan Nicolls with her everlasting flowers
Best Feature Bloom, Dahlia for a prize of Rosette & Wooden Star
Won by Michael Ingham
Best Fair Theme Composition, Chicken for a prize of Rosette & Wooden Star
Won by Laura Jackson
Best Decorative Class, Tool Time for a prize of Rosette & Wooden Star
Won by Nan Nicolls
Junior Champion Flower in Show sponsored by an anonymous supporter
A Flower Book, Won by Ana Arbanas
Junior Feature Flower, Dahlia for a prize of Rosette & Wooden Star
Won by Ana Arbanas
Junior Fair Theme Composition, Chicken, for a prize of Rosette & Wooden Star
Won by Ana Arbanas
Junior Decorative Class Tool Time for a prize of Rosette & Wooden Star
no entry this year.